S.T.R.I.D.E. DRESSAGE ASSOCIATION, Inc.
CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
ARTICLE I: NAME
The name of this organization is S.T.R.I.D.E. Dressage Association, Inc. The letters used in the name stand for “Striving Toward Riding Improvement and Dressage Education”. The name S.T.R.I.D.E. Dressage Association, Inc. may not be used without prior approval of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE II: PURPOSE
Dressage is that training of the horse which results in the harmonious development of the horse’s physical and mental condition and emphasizes the improvement of the natural gaits and refined communication between horse and rider. The purpose of S.T.R.I.D.E. is to improve our riding and driving skills and understanding of the correct training of the horse without abusive or artificial means.
ARTICLE III: OFFICERS AND BOARD OF DIRECTORS
A. ELECTED OFFICERS
The following positions on the Board of Directors are elected by the general membership and serve at the discretion of the general membership:
1. The President who will have the following duties:
a. Prepare the agenda and preside over all meetings of S.T.R.I.D.E. and the Board of Directors.
b. Serve as ex-officio member of all committees.
c. Appoint heads of standing committees with the approval of the Board of Directors.
d. Sign any necessary payment checks for all functions such as shows (judges, food vendor, & reimbursements), clinics (clinicians, reimbursements), YEA banquet, etc. and get them to event manager before event.
e. Act as a representative of S.T.R.I.D.E.
2. The Vice-President who will have the following duties:
a. Assume the responsibilities of the Presidency in the absence of the President.
b. Perform those duties assigned by the President.
c. Serve as chairman of the show committee, which shall consist of the managers/co-managers of each show. The Vice-President will appoint the managers and show secretaries for each show. All judges will be hired by
the Vice-President, with consultation of the show committee d. Validate scores for S.T.R.I.D.E. year-end awards.
3. The Recording Secretary who will have the following duties:
a. Attend to all correspondence and will read aloud communications at meetings of the Board of Directors, and at general meetings.
b. Take minutes at each meeting of S.T.R.I.D.E. The minutes of the most recent general meeting and recent Board of Directors meetings will be read at the next general meeting.
c. Notify all members of meeting date and locations, and will attend to other matters pertaining to meeting procedures, as directed by the President.
d. Obtain help from the members for any individual or continuing job necessary in the administration of the business of S.T.R.I.D.E.
4. The Treasurer who will have the following duties:
a. Handle all funds received and paid out by preparing deposit slips and taking to bank to deposit, and by issuing checks on request or by invoice and mailing to payee.
b. Prepare necessary checks for all functions such as shows (judges, food vendor, & reimbursements), clinics (clinicians, reimbursements), YEA banquet, etc. and get them to event manager before event.
c. Bank funds in a bank approved by the Board of Directors.
d. Issue receipts for monies paid into S.T.R.I.D.E. if requested.
e. Be prepared to report on the financial status of S.T.R.I.D.E. at both General and Board meetings.
f. Keep checkbook register up-to-date by entering all deposits and payments, and categorizing all transactions for reports.
g. Maintain a file of invoices paid along with any other backup information submitted with invoices.
h. Balance checkbook monthly and email President the current statement, year-to-date checkbook register, and breakdown of income/expenditures.
i. Collect W-9 information and issue 1099’s in January.
j. File Sun-Biz report annually in February.
k. Complete insurance questionnaire and renew liability insurance in March.
l. File the proper IRS Form 990 in May.
m. Renew any necessary registrations, such as license tags, for property owned by S.T.R.I.D.E..
5. The Membership Secretary will have the following duties:
a. Keep records of all S.T.R.I.D.E. general membership information.
b. Process new membership applications promptly.
c. Submit membership roster and updates to USDF as required by USDF
6. The Member-At-Large will have the following duties:
a. Participate as a member of the board of directors of S.T.R.I.D.E. representing the general membership.
7. The Immediate Past President will have the following duties:
a. Advises current President to provide continuity.
b. Helps as needed with club activities (banquet, clinics, shows, etc.);
c. Participates in Board meetings and votes on S.T.R.I.D.E. policies/contracts.
B. APPOINTED OFFICERS
The following positions are appointed by the President as heads of standing committees, with the advice and consent of the elected members of the Board. They serve at the discretion of the elected board, and are not voting members of the Board of Directors.
1. The Awards Chairman will receive submitted year-end scores and will tabulate awards.
2. The Banquet Chairman will plan and organize the Annual Banquet.
3. The Ways and Means Chairman will help S.T.R.I.D.E. with ideas and plans for increasing monies in the Treasury, and will lead a committee in the execution of said ideas and plans.
4. Bookkeeper: A bookkeeper may be appointed to maintain fiscal records in cooperation with the Treasurer. Items may include, but are not limited to:
a. Balance checkbook monthly and email President the current statement, year-to-date checkbook register, and breakdown of income/expenditures.
b. Collect W-9 information and issue 1099’s in January.
c. File Sun-Biz report annually in February.
d. Complete insurance questionnaire and renew liability insurance in March.
e. File the proper IRS Form 990 in May.
f. Renew any necessary registrations, such as license tags, for property owned by S.T.R.I.D.E..
5. The Equipment Manager will be responsible for maintenance and disbursement of all S.T.R.I.D.E. material properties. An inventory of all S.T.R.I.D.E. property will be maintained in an ongoing current status.
6. The Newsletter Editor will be responsible for the publishing of the newsletter and publicizing S.T.R.I.D.E. activities. The newsletter will be published on the website at least quarterly and notices will be emailed to the general membership.
7. The Webmaster will be responsible for maintaining the club’s website.
8. The Historian will be responsible for maintaining a log and album of all club events and functions.
9. Facebook Administrator will be responsible for maintaining the S.T.R.I.D.E. Facebook page.
10. Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for scheduling Volunteers at various S.T.R.I.D.E. events, in coordination with the event manager.
C. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
It is the duty of the Board of Directors to conduct all business of the membership. The Board of Directors will expend those funds considered necessary to carry on the activities of S.T.R.I.D.E.
The President may call special meetings of the Board when judged necessary. A simple majority will constitute a quorum of the Board. A simple majority of the Board may call for a meeting provided all Board members have been informed either by phone, mail, or e-mail.
At the expiration of the term of office, or in the case of resignation, each officer will transfer all records pertaining to that office to the succeeding officer within two weeks.
ARTICLE IV: MEMBERSHIP
There will be three classes of membership: members, family members, and honorary members.
These members will be classified as follows:
1. Members will consist of all persons with an active interest in the purpose of S.T.R.I.D.E. as described in the Constitution and By-Laws and who have paid their annual dues.
2. Family members will consist of members of the immediate family of a member and share the same household and have paid their annual dues.
3. Honorary members are those persons who have been recognized for their unique contribution to dressage by unanimous vote of the Board of Directors. Honorary members will be S.T.R.I.D.E. members for life and will be exempt from payment of dues. This is not a voting position. An Honorary member may also be a Member.
ARTICLE V: ASSESSMENTS
1. Active members are those individuals who have paid their dues for the current year. They are entitled to participate in all S.T.R.I.D.E. sponsored activities and may vote during a general membership meeting.
2. Dues become payable September 1 of each year.
3. Annual dues: shall be established by the Board of Directors for the following categories:
b. Family membership
c. Junior membership
4. Dues are apportioned to the S.T.R.I.D.E. treasury.
ARTICLE VI: COMMITTEES
1. There will be such standing and temporary committees as are considered necessary to carry on the work of S.T.R.I.D.E.
2. Committee chairmen will be appointed by the Board of Directors. Chairmen may choose their own committee members.
3. Show Committee: The show committee shall consist of the Vice President and show manager(s), with the Vice President as chairman. Duties of the show committee will be setting show rules, selecting dates and venues for each show, determining all class offerings and specifications; publishing of the show omnibus before the start of each show season, and hiring/appointing Show Secretary(ies). Show Secretary duties include scheduling classes in coordination with the Vice President, managing the show office on the day of the show, sending show results to the newsletter editor and webmaster, and sending show financials to the Treasurer. Individual show manager’s duties will include organizing volunteers and scribes, and other duties necessary to run individual shows. The show committee shall meet as necessary throughout the year.
ARTICLE VII: MEETINGS
1. S.T.R.I.D.E. will hold no less than six events per year. These events will feature educational and/or competitive activities which further the purpose of S.T.R.I.D.E.
2. The President may call a business meeting of the Board of Directors after giving a minimum of seven (7) days’ notice. A quorum of the Board of Directors may call a Board meeting upon notification of all the Board members by mail or phone or e-mail.
3. S.T.R.I.D.E. will hold no less than four general meetings each year. At least two of these meetings will be of an informative nature.
4. General meetings will be scheduled at a minimum of every two months.
ARTICLE VIII: AMENDMENTS
The Constitution and By-Laws may be amended by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the voting members at any regular meeting of the organization at which a quorum (50%) of the members are present, either in person or by proxy. Amendments may be suggested by the Board of Directors. Proposed amendments shall be voted on at the next ensuing regular meeting after written notice to all members. Written notice of the proposed amendment shall be waived in the case of any proposed amendment which is introduced for the first time from the floor at any regular meeting of the organization. Following full discussion, said proposed amendment may be submitted for a vote at the same meeting in which it has been introduced.
ARTICLE IX: ELECTION OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
1. The Board of Directors will consist of the elected officers of S.T.R.I.D.E and the immediate past-president. Elected officers and past-president will serve a one-year term, but no more than two consecutive terms, except for the past-president, who will serve one year only unless the current president is re-elected, in which case the past-president will serve a second year. Appointed officers may serve more than two consecutive terms at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
2. In the case of resignation or other vacancy in the elected Board of Directors, the President 7
will appoint a member to fill the unexpired term with the advice and consent of the elected members of the Board. The office of President must be filled by means of election by the general membership. Nominees for the position of President must have been a member of S.T.R.I.D.E. for the prior three years.
3. At the general membership meeting in the last quarter of the S.T.R.I.D.E. membership year, the officers will be nominated in September and elected in December from the membership by the members and family members. They will be elected to serve the term of one year. Officers will be elected by a simple majority. Only members will be eligible to hold an elective office.
4. All active members will be entitled to one vote each.
5. Any and all voting will be at a general membership meeting.
6. Proxies may be given by any member to another member present and voting on a form approved by the Board of Directors. Said form must be signed and dated and received by the Secretary prior to or at the meeting at which it is to be exercised. Approved proxies must be recognized as the first order of business of the meeting.
ARTICLE X: COMPETITIONS AND AWARDS
1. The award/show year runs from January through December.
2. Awards will be determined as described in the current year’s Omnibus. The scores submitted will be from at least three shows in a level and division. The Awards Chairman will receive all scores from the Show Secretary. Tabulation of the scores will be performed by the Awards Chairman. These results will be checked by the Vice-President and at least one other member at large.
3. The Vice President is responsible for all aspects of STRIDE shows.
4. All profits from S.T.R.I.D.E. shows are the property of S.T.R.I.D.E. Accurate financial records will be forwarded to the Treasurer and Bookkeeper by the Show Secretary.
ARTICLE XI: PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
Robert’s Rules of Order Revised is the established protocol for the Board of Directors and General Membership meetings when not in conflict with the Constitution and By-Laws.
ARTICLE XII: DISSOLUTION
If at any time S.T.R.I.D.E. disbands, any and all funds remaining in the Treasury and property held by the Equipment Manager will be distributed equally to an equine or dressage association at the discretion of the Board of Directors.
As Revised 08-24-2016
Please support our great Partners by patronizing their businesses. All Partners of STRIDE have agreed to provide a 10% discount on their in-store products (no discount on feed or hay) and services to STRIDE members!
Get Social With Us!
Warning: Under Florida law, an equine activity sponsor or equine professional is not liable for any injury to, or the death of,
a participant in equine activities resulting from the inherent risks of equine activities. Fla. Stat. §773.04(2) (1995)